Thursday, March 17, 2011

My Temple

I Corinthians 3:16 - 17 "Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you?  If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him.  For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple."

I have not been treating my body as a temple, or anything close.  Through the years I've gotten less active and gradually gained more and more weight, mostly in my stomach (the classic 'apple' shape that leads to heart attacks.)  My cholesterol has been up to 410 with triglycerides of 800+.  So I went on medication.  Gradually my doctor has added more meds to counteract my bad habits. 

I decided to do something about it, so my husband took this lovely 'before' picture in October of 2009:

It turns out I was 'interested' in losing weight, but not 'committed'.  I used the treadmill a few times, then continued to put on the pounds and hang out on my couch, playing computer games.  Fortunately for everyone, I did not take another 'before' picture when I was at my peak.

Then, my 'gem' of a friend came along with some encouragement.  She said she was taking Zumba class and we should join her.  Along with another friend, I did just that at the beginning of November.

I'm loving Zumba.  It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and its lots of fun. I know I look ridiculous doing Latin dance moves, but I've decided not to care about that.  Almost immediately I started to feel more energetic.  I even tried working out on some machines when class was cancelled for the holidays. 

My company ran a campaign to get us to eat more fruits and vegetables (strive for five) and I dove in, again with support from my friends.  Next Gem mentioned that she was joining Weight Watchers.  They have a new program, and I was welcome to come along.  So I did that in early December and I have been very impressed with that program. 

So far so good.  I've lost 15 pounds and my clothes are starting to fit again. 

Perhaps I got too cocky.  Seemed too simple.  So when the company sent out a flyer advertising a 7-week training program for a a 5-K in early May I gave it some thought.  Run, jog or walk, they promise I will cross the finish line.  This time I brought it up.  Gem is in if I'm in.  I posted it in my FaceBook status - committed.  Should be committed, I think.

The class starts next week, so I decided to try a little jogging today.  How hard can it be after Zumba?  I needed to go to the bank anyway - less than a half a mile from my house.  I put on my jogging garb.  Stretched a little.  Got outside and jogged past my neighbor's house.  It felt weird.  I'm not sure how to move anymore.  I walked the next block briskly.  Okay, I can do this.  Broke out into another awkward jog.  My stomach bounces up and down.  I've got a sports bra, but no sports belt (do they make those?)  I finish the block and walk again, huffing and puffing.  Someone drives by and waves.  I can't figure out who it is (sorry!) but I wave back.  Two more people smile and wave.  I'm starting to wonder if I look funny or what.  On the way back, I jogged some more.  Another block, but it was a long block.  I was starting to wish I'd worn less clothes, but then realized that bulky sweatshirt was the only thing hiding my bouncing belly.  It took another block to catch my breath.

What have I gotten myself into?!?

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely hate running. I love walking, even walking extremely fast, but not jogging.

    So I completely support you! I am in awe of your commitment! But I'm glad you are the one doing it, and not me. :D

    ReplyDelete